SHORT FICTION

Saturday, 2 May 2015

DIRTY PAWS STORY-A NEW DOG IN TOWN


Hi everyone. I thought it was time for another cat story. I wrote another Dirty Paws adventure. I hope you cat lovers enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

 I thought that I had posted this on Thursday but  something happened so I'm late. Hope you enjoy my cat story.


Dirty Paws Story
 
A New Dog in Town
 
 
 
Bluesy Boy was out for his morning outing, checking out all the usual places. Misty stayed behind today to have her catnap. Bluesy didn't mind. He liked going out on his own every once in a while.
All the smells that he was familiar with greeted him in his morning walk. Up a head he could see something large walking toward him. Bluesy knew who it was. Big Bert, who was a bulldog was out for his morning walk as well. He was alone too. His companion Lulu wasn't with him today. They were both on their own.
"Hey, Dirty Paws, checking out the neighborhood?"
"Just like you Big Bert. Everything appears to be good. How about you?"
The big bulldog stopped in front of him. "So far, so good. I heard some rumors that some new people moved in so was checking to see of they have any pets."
"Are they close by?"
"That old Wilson house finally sold."
"The one the mice were taking over in?"
Big Bert chuckled. "Yeah, that's the one. Not sure what they are going to do with the place. I don't think that house is fit for a dog or even a cat to live in."
"Well, let's go see what is going on over there then."
Both of them headed over to the old Wilson house that had been left empty for a long time. The house was old and was now falling apart. When they arrived, there were humans walking around the house. They had hard hats on.
Bluesy Boy and Big Bert stayed safe behind a building that was next door and watched. The men continued to walk around the house, taking measurements. After a few moments they got in their truck and drove away.
Big Bert looked at Bluesy Boy. "What do you think they were doing?"
Bluesy Boy twitched his tail. "I'm not sure but I can smell something that is not quite right. "It's coming from the house. Let's take a closer look."
Big Bert went first. His nose was to the ground sniffing as he went along. He stopped and looked up at the old porch. Bluesy Boy could see his nose sniffing the air.
"Did you pick up something?"
"Not sure, will have to go in there to see."
Bluesy Boy jumped up on the porch and walked up a plank that was leaning against a window. He looked in and sniffed. It smelled like old skunk, mildew and dust. Bluesy Boy's nose twitched.
Big Bert had gone around the corner. "There's a window that is broken on this side. We can go through here."
They were standing in the living room. An old couch slumped in the corner with cobwebs around it with a broken table beside it was all that was in the room. The floor itself looked a bit sloped like it was ready to cave in.
"Be careful where you walk in this room. Nothing looks too solid," Bluesy Boy told Big Bert.
"Gotcha on that. I don't think we'll stay inside this old heap too long. Something tells me this place is going to collapse at any time."
They both cautiously went from room to room and then came to the stairs. Big Bert looked over at Bluesy. "Should we take a chance?"
Bluesy Boy hesitated. "Let's check it out. My twitching tail is telling me something is here."
"Big Bert followed him up the stairs. Every step they took the old stairs creaked and groaned. A few times they almost jumped. When they finally made it to the top landing, a sound from one of the rooms made Bluesy startle. Big Bert let out a low growl.
They cautiously went to the room and stopped at the door way. The door was halfway closed. They both peaked around the corner. There were some movement and that sound again. They both sniffed.
Big Bert went in first. Bluesy Boy stayed back a bit. Under some garbage and an old broken dresser, a head popped up. "Hey can you help me?"
It was another dog. Big Bert trotted over to him. "How did you get in there?"
"I was here with my owners, the ones who bought this place and I got lost."
"You're stuck in there pretty good."
"I know, Maybe you can pull at some things to loosen me up."
Bluesy Boy came over then. "Hey, you have a cat with you."
"He's okay. That's Bluesy Boy or Dirty Paws as some cats call him."
"His paws look pretty white to me."
Big Bert snorted. "Yeah, some of the cats call him that because they don't think he should be with the likes of me."
"Oh. I see. Well, I'm glad to see you both. Maybe you can both pull at some of this garbage to free me."
They both started to take away stuff but nothing was really helping him. Then a loud sound from outside shook the old house. "What was that," he cried out at them.
Bluesy Boy jumped up on the window. "There's a big tractor out there with a mean looking thing in front of it. Looks like a big metal claw."
Big Bert came over to see. "I know what that is. That claw will tear this house down. They are going to rip this old house down. We have to get out of here."
"What about me?"
Bluesy Boy and Big Bert looked at each other. They couldn't leave him here. Bluesy Boy looked out the window where the tractor thing was.  The family was here as well. A boy of around twelve was looking rather anxious. Bluesy Boy put it together pretty quickly. The dog stuck was his dog. They somehow had to let him know where he was.
"We have to get their attention Big Bert."
"How? We haven't got much time. We can't jump down. That old roof doesn't look like it would hold me."
"See if this window will budge up."
Big Bert nudged his big head up against the window. It budged a bit and then finally let go and he could lift it some.
"Let's all make noise and see if we can get that boys attention."
So, all three of them started to make noise. At first they didn't appear they were getting any attention. Soon that big machine would make more noise and it would be too late. But luck was on their side. The big machine sputtered and quit leaving everything quiet. They went for it again. This time the boy looked up and his eyes widened. He pulled at his father's jacket and told him something. They both came towards the house and all three of them heard them coming up the old stairs. the dog made a noise and within seconds the boy was in the room going straight towards the dog.
"This is our cue to leave," said Big Bert.
They both took off down the stairs as quick as their feet would carry them. It wasn't long when the father and boy came out with the dog. The all looked quite happy. Just in time as the big machine roared back to life.
The boy took the dog back to the truck. He was hugging him. He instructed the dog to stay put while he went to his father for a minute. But the dog spied Bluesy and Big Bert by the old building looking on. He trotted over to them. "Thanks guys, you saved my skin back there. I owe you one. They call me Skip. I'll be living here when they get the new house built."
"Well, welcome to the neighborhood. They call me Big Bert and this as I said is Bluesy Boy. We were glad to help."
"Thanks again, I'll get back to David. I don't want to lose him again."
They watched him go back to the truck in time for David to pick him up and take him into the truck with him.
"We better get going before they start tearing this thing down."
They both took off down the street where they parted ways at the corner. Bluesy Boy had enough excitement for one morning. He was ready for his own catnap.
When he got in the house Misty was just getting up. "Hey Bluesy Boy, are you ready for a run outside with me?"
Bluesy Boy went to his food dish and had some cat food along with some water. "The only place I'm going to right now is my basket in the window to take a long nap. I've had enough excitement for one day or even all week."
Misty sniffed him. "I smell something strange on you. What were you into?"
Bluesy Boy flopped into his basket and started to lick himself. "I met a new dog that will be living in our neighborhood. Although, we almost didn't have one but we saved him."
"Should I even ask about this adventure of yours?"
"Later, after I had my nap. But don't let me miss wet cat food time. Okay?"
Misty sighed. "I won't."
Bluesy Boy was snoring away before Misty even turned around. She shook her little cat head wondering what kind of adventure he had without her. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment