SHORT FICTION

Wednesday, 5 August 2015

SHORT STORY-POPPY& THE PRINCE-TAUTHA


Hello. Today I have another installment of Poppy & the Prince. Hope you enjoy. Have a great weekend!




TAUTHA
 
 Tomcat could smell the snowdrops before he even reached the hill. Following that, were a field of wild blue violets. This was the Spring prince's territory. He had the smallest troupe and didn't like the other faerie courts very much.
He was a fan of bloodshed and that was why Tomcat was seeking him out. Tautha was nasty and had a heart of a spring storm. Things in the grass scurried ahead of him. Tomcat knew they would tell him that he was here. He gripped onto his bow and arrow in case Tautha was in a bad mood.
When he got to the top of the knoll, he didn't go any further. He was quick with an arrow but so was Tautha. He heard a sigh in the wind and grinned. "Sorry, I haven't been around. Don't shoot me."
An arrow landed at his feet sunk half way in. He looked up into pale blue silver eyes. His straight ice blue hair blew in the breeze around his heart shaped face.
"Tomcat, how nice of you to come and see me. You must want something of course so spit it out and then you can ask me how I am."
"I want a little war and I don't care how you are."
Tautha laughed. "You haven't changed. I like your cruel heart." He tilted his head at Tomcat. " Sometimes I think you should have been in my troupe."
Tomcat leaned over. "If I was in your troupe, you would be dead."
Tautha shook his finger at him. His sharp blue lacquered nail was in inch from his nose. "Must I remind you that you are in my territory. Play nice."
Tomcat grinned. "Okay, I do care how you are. Invite me over and we can talk about war games and killing faeries that you hate."
Tautha's face lit up. "You may come over."
 
***



His tribe came out of the woodwork to check him out. He suffered a few bites and scratches but nothing that a threat of the arrow through the chest wouldn't deter.
They sat around a round table in the forest. Servants came and poured faerie wine and offered him food. Tomcat looked into the bowl of berries. He would pass on those. They were poison for the most part.
Tautha picked up his wine. "Let's drink to bloodshed."
Tomcat picked up his wine. He sniffed it.
"Oh come on, I'm drinking it, see?"
Tomcat watched him down his wine and have the servant refill it. He then took a sip and it was okay. He could feel Tautha watching him. When he finished his wine he met his gaze. "As I said, I'm after a little war. Certain ones need to be put in their place and I will not be made a fool of. "
"Go on, I'm listening. "
"I want you to use your magic to make a certain someone sleep for a very long time and also to make the winter's queen's territory frozen over in an icy tomb."
"Don't ask for much do you?" He softly laughed. "What you should be asking me first though is what can I do for you in the form of favor?"
Tomcat chuckled. "I know, I know. What do you want in return?"
He watched Tautha run his blue tongue along his bottom lip as if he could taste the possibilities. "I would like one of your fall girls to be my mate. I need someone who is different that a spring girl."
"You have specific tastes but fine, if you want me to find you a wife consider it done."
"I'm not done yet," he said.
Tomcat narrowed his gaze at him. "Giving you one of my tribe members is more than enough."
He shrugged. "Magic comes with a price my love. I would like something from you."
"What do you want from me?"
He flew within inches from Tomcat's face. "I want a bit more territory and your territory is right next to mine. Give me the valley love and I'll do your magic."
He smelled like a spring rain. Tautha kissed him deeply. Tomcat didn't dare pull away. When he parted he rested his cheek on Tomcats. "Do we have a deal?"
"We have a deal." He kissed him again and Tomcat knew now it was a done deal.

***
 
Tomcat and Tautha stood in the winter forest where the glass coffin use to be. Snow lightly fell on Tautha's ice blue hair. His breath hung in the air but he was not cold. Tomcat thought his ice blue hair complimented the wintery surroundings.
Tuatha sighed. "So, this is where our sleeping prince will be?"
Tomcat nodded. "For a very long time."
He grinned. "He must have slated you pretty good."
Tomcat didn't care if he thought it amusing, he wanted the job done.
Up above them a dark shadow passed. Tomcat waved and they came down. In the fall faerie's arm was the sleeping Seth.
With a silver sword in his hands Tautha stirred up the snow around him and the snow rose and swirled in the air. When it fell to its destination, an icy glass coffin formed. Gnarled hawthorn branches held it up off the ground like hands.  
The fall faerie carefully placed him inside. Tautha peered down at him. He brushed his soft hair out of his sleeping eyes. He bent over and kissed each eyelid and then his lips. He waved the sword over him and an icy glass sealed him in. He looked over at Tomcat. "Your sleeping prince is now in another world."
Tomcat smiled. "One prince down and one more to go."
Tautha laughed. "This is so much fun."
They both flew straight up into the air and headed for the winter kingdom. They hovered over the castle. White gryphons stood guard around the castle. Tomcat and Tautha landed on one of the small balconies. "Savon is here, I know it. Freeze them all," said Tomcat.
The balcony doors opened. Out walked Savon. A sword hung at his side. His leather pants also had a side  satchel on the other side that contained other weapons. He reached for them when he saw them.
Tautha held up his hand and stopped him. "I wouldn't do that."
He snarled. "What are you doing here?" His eye shifted over to Tomcat. "And why did you bring him here?"
Tautha hit his chest like he was wounded. "I'm hurt." He was grinning the whole time.
Tomcat sauntered over to Savon. "I lost a tribe member because of you and Seth. It's time for a little payback."
"That's not my concern."
"I know but it's very concerning to me. You will pay."
Savon sneered and waved his hand in Tomcat's face. "Go bother Seth. I have other things to do."
Tautha looked over at him. "We already paid him a visit. He's resting now." Tautha snickered.
Savon backed up. "Leave or I will let my gryphons play with you."
Tomcat smirked. "Those white puff pieces of yours couldn't find their way out of an open balcony."
Savon raised an eyebrow. "Really? Let's see if they can then."
He snapped his fingers and a whoosh of cold air descended on them.
Tautha yelped and Tomcat threw himself to the corner to hide from them.
Savon stood by two enormous white gryphons. They breathed ice into the air. "Well, my pets, I have two toys for you to play with. Have fun."
They growled and sniffed the air. Tomcat looked over at Tautha who was carefully sneaking around them. They looked at each other and Tomcat glared. Tautha ignored him and continued to make his way around to the front of the beasts. Tomcat thought he was crazy.
He would get himself killed and he was not going to save him. He was almost standing next to Savon. Savon turned to him with sword in hand.
Tautha had his as well. Tomcat thought they were going to have a sword fight but Tautha swirled the snow around him using his sword, sending up a wall of snow into the air.
The gryphons tried to fly up into the air but they couldn't. Savon cursed him and appeared to know what he was up to. Tomcat just watched. The snow fell down on top of them blanketing them and they all fell to the ground.
None of them moved. Tomcat came out then and stood next to Tautha. "They are under spell?"
He nodded.
"Now for the rest of the kingdom?"
Tautha grinned and leaned over to him. "Do I get another kiss?"
"You've had too many kisses."
His silver ice blue eyes got bluer. He cupped Tomcat's chin and kissed him hard.
Tomcat backed up. "What the hell."
Tautha laughed. "You are such an ass."
Tomcat touched his lips to make sure they were still there. "Finish the job, love."
He winked at him and with a flick of his wrist, snow rose up forming a dragon like creature. "Fly my sweet and dust the kingdom." Its icy blue yes looked down at them and then flew off into the sky.
"Now it's done."
Tomcat slapped him on the back. "Let's go have a party."
"Now you're talking." Tautha sent a swirl of snow around them enclosing them. When the snow settled all that was left was a sleeping prince and two frozen gryphons.
 















No comments:

Post a Comment