SHORT FICTION

Thursday, 8 December 2016

THE WHITE HORSE-POEM


Hello everyone! We are just digging out of a snow storm we had over the last two days. So my wintery story here feels like good timing. Hope you enjoy! 
 
 
 
 
The White Horse

Poem

It was winter’s night.

Cold.

Clear.

Diamond snowflakes danced upon the whiteness of the snow under the moon’s light.

I walked the snowy path; to where I do not know.

I looked behind; there was no foot prints.

I kept walking.

There was no choice.

 

As I walked, a snowy owl graced me with its presence.

It called out in prose that chilled in the winter’s breath.

I followed it until it disappeared into the dark navy sky.

Snow rushed around me and rushed ahead.

I kept walking.

 

My eyes squinted in the moon’s light to see the glow a head of me.

It could not be.

A white horse was standing there. The moon’s light bathed it.

Maybe the Moon’s light was a horse.

Long white mane glistened with silver and white.

White breath snorted from its flared nostrils.

Even though it was dark, I could see the dark eyes that lured me closer.

 

It threw its head back and with a slight prance it gives me one more daring look.

With abruptness, the white horse turns and runs.

Snow filled with silver dust sweeps across my face with denial.

There are no tracks for me to follow.  

All that is left is my desire to keep walking.

At the end of my journey, the white horse awaits.

A call from the owl reminds of past prose.

 

I stop and give caution to the chilled wind.

Navy blue eyes give whimsy to my action.

Soon, it is I who lure the white horse.

The white horse bows and I mount with full intention.

We ride into paths, where we do not know.

 

But finally as most dreams wake.  

The white horse ends the journey.

I dismount with a heavy heart.

The white horse turns and runs sending snow and silver dust into my eyes.

 

When sight clears, I am left with prose full of promise.

I smile and bid my friend well until we meet again.

My white horse.

Tip Jar:

paypal/VeraSoroka

 

No comments:

Post a Comment