SHORT FICTION

Thursday, 12 January 2017

SUNFLOWER SURPRISES-flash fiction

 
Good morning on a very blustery snowy day! Storm days and school closures. What a day! Today's flash fiction is a lot warmer. I hope you enjoy it and if you want you can drop me some hot tea money in the tip jar. Happy reading! 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sunflower Surprises

Flash fiction

It started with a note. It read: You are invited to a special picnic in the meadow behind my house. Wear your tiny flowered patterned dress-please?

I was amused. The dress was my favorite. I wondered what he was up to. But I would play along.

The dress was in the wash I discovered. I pulled it out of the hamper and looked at it. It smelled not bad but I had spilled some mustard on it. Forgot to put some stain remover on it. Dang.

I shrugged and pulled it on. We were going to be in the meadow anyway. I would probably get it dirtier.

So, I did up my hair and did my make-up. I looked in the mirror. My dress was a bit wrinkled but I shrugged it off and went.

It was the yellow color that caught my eye first. I shook my head. I was guessing and I was right-sunflowers.

I didn’t see anyone around and wondered where he went. When I got to the flowers, they were sitting on this basket covered in a makeshift tablecloth. There was another note with my name on it-Maddie.

I opened it and it was a bit of a love letter. Although his writing is awful and his attempt at rhyming was funny, my heart still melted.

“Great, you wore the dress.”

I smiled and turned around and saw him coming towards me carrying a bag. I knew what was in it. He went to the burger joint we always went to.

This was going to be our picnic. I almost giggled.

He had this goofy grin on his face and it was the one who confirmed he was up to something.

He greeted me with a hug and quick kiss.

I looked down at the flowers and then back up at him.

“So, what are you up to?”

He grinned. “I can’t hide anything from you can I?”

I shook my head. “Nope, I know you too well.”

He chuckled. “That is why we are a good fit and I want to make it forever.”

I looked at him as he dug into his pocket and pulled a necklace out and there was something on the end of it.

The necklace swung in front of me until I stopped it to look at what was on the chain.

It was two little hearts entwined. He smiled. “That’s us.”

He placed the necklace around my neck and whispered into my ear.

“We will share our lives forever and maybe one day we can say our vows out here.”

I nodded and he hugged me.

We then sat down on the grass and ate vegan burgers. I didn’t even spill any mustard on my dress.

paypal.me/VeraSoroka

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment