SHORT FICTION

Thursday, 9 February 2017

The Valentines Tree-flash fiction

Hello! Today is in honor of Valentines Day. Hope you enjoy!
I also have a new Dirty Paws cat short story up for sale! You can check it out here. It's called The Unusual Stay at Home Day. There are others there to check out as well. Happy reading!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Valentine Tree

Flash fiction

 
I had heard of this place but you couldn’t go there unless you had a love. I hadn’t had any love for a long time so I just had to sit back and hear the stories.

The description of this wondrous place sounded too good to be true, like it was out of some Alice In Wonderland story. Really?

As the special day crept closer, I decided not to be around my friends and planned a little trip away. I never even told them I was going away for a few days.

They wouldn’t miss me anyways.

A part of me was sad but also looking forward to getting away.

But of course the best laid plans don’t always go the way you would like.

First my car wouldn’t start. It worked fine the day before.

I wasn’t going to be defeated so I called a friend and he said sure.

My little secret of taking off was not a secret anymore. When he arrived he was full of questions as to where I was skipping out to.

I just shook my head and told him it was a business trip of sorts. By the grin on his face though, I don’t think he was buying my story.

We got in his car and on the seat is a bouquet of tiny pink roses and a heart shaped box filled with chocolates.

He saw me looking down at them but didn’t say anything. I didn’t ask either.

Just as we are about to turn off to the road to the airport, he keeps going. I looked over at him but he ignored me and kept driving. I could tell he had purpose.

Finally I asked. “You know you missed the turn off back there? I am supposed to arrive an hour early.”

He just grinned.

He drove to a small park and there was something about it that was different today. He finally looked over at me and said. “Come with me.”

I sighed and got out of the car. He waited for me and when I got close he held out his hand.

My heart skipped a beat and I shyly took his hand. This little tingle went up my arm.

“Where are you taking me?’

He looked down at me and winked. “Wait and see.”

We got to a small knoll overlooking the park. He faced me then and told me to close my eyes.

I did.

“Now,” he said. “Think about a tree with a heart shape top and red, white and pink flowers surrounding it.

I’m shaking my head. This sounded like some of the stories I heard about that place.

“Open your eyes.”

When I did, my eyes went wide. The whole meadow was covered in these small red, pink and white daisies. But what really stood out was this tree with a heart shape top.

“Wonderful isn’t it”?

“But I don’t have a love. How can this be?”

He sighed. “Yeah, you do have a love. You just don’t know it yet.”

My face flushed. “You?”

“Don’t look too shocked. It’s me if you are willing to be my valentine. If you say no, this will all disappear.”

I smiled. “Well, I guess we wouldn’t want that to happen, now would we?”

He smiled back. “No, we wouldn’t.”

Tip Jar:

paypal.me/VeraSoroka

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment